Friday 6 September 2013

Adventurer's Log #2: Miss S Attempts to Adjust

Well, the first week of school is now complete.

And I have to say, I'm exhausted.

But not in a bad way :)

The students didn't start until Wednesday, so I only spent three actual days with them, but I have to say I have found something to love about each class.  I have another English class full of gamers and lovers of epic movies (Miss S remains at least somewhat relevant).  I have a Social Studies class of kids eager to learn and please and embrace all that I tell them (talk about a scary amount of power).  I have a Cooking class that is still warming up to me but is starting to appreciate me and who I definitely appreciate back (they are going to be my challenging class, but not because of the students... because I have to teach cooking!).  And I have a History class that is engaged and so ready to discuss and question.

And I feel wholly inadequate!

But I am hoping that is just part of being a teacher.  I would be scared if I felt like I had everything figured out, because I know I never will.  And besides, if I had everything figured out I wouldn't have to be at the school before 6am.  What would I do with myself!

I wish I had some quirky, zany stories to share, but I'm afraid I don't.  All I can do is tell you that when I mentioned Lord of the Rings, I had a room full of students light up, their eyes going huge.  When I told a student to tell me more about the video games they play, and then proceeded to ask him questions about the style of game, his eyes held a mixture of awe, shock, and yes, even a little respect.

Of course all of this doesn`t mean I am super teacher.

I have had a couple of breakdowns this week.

Tuesday I just felt overwhelmed.  It was as if I would never get done everything that I needed to get done.  And I hate that feeling.

Wednesday I met my kids.  I went home.  And then the adrenaline wore off and I realized something.

I'm in new territory.  I'm not living somewhere I, or someone in my family, has lived before.  I'm not surrounded by numerous friends that I can call up at a moment's notice.  I'm still four provinces away from Mr. Charming.

I felt utterly alone.

And I know that I'm not.  I have made friends here and already have promises of social gatherings within the week (Miss S may actually develop a life... or at least  minor one).  I know I have people I can talk to.

There has just been a lot of change, and while it is good change, it still requires some adjusting.

And some trusting.  This was a pretty big door that was opened to me, and was a pretty big decision on my part to move here.

Now I just need to continue to trust that I am not alone in this.  That even at my loneliest, there is One who never leaves.

I can hardly wait to see what next week brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment